Thursday, April 19, 2012

Western Avenue

If I wound up getting bad grades in high school and couldn't sum up a decent ACT score to be accepted to a university, unfortunately I would end up like the other half of my buddies... on Western Avenue. Not the best route. Western Avenue is a street two miles east of my home in Chicago on the 104th block of Avers. "Western" is a popular busy street that hosts around twenty or so bars where young and old go to play on the weekends. If it weren't for college I would possibly take a career route into the Local 399 Heating and Air Conditioning Union if i were lucky to know an individual who could "get me in". I would head to trade school for the next two years and after that my salary would basically plateau for the rest of my life, starting off with around $32 dollars an hour. From then on I would receive something like a $0.50 raise yearly suffering layoffs from such pathetic job security. Ya, I would be making more money than most individuals my age but ten years from now, the friends with college degrees and fancy jobs would be the ones laughing. Western avenue has bars for youngsters and older folk. It has bars that are a cakewalk for a minor to find a drink, and bars that will end your night in the back of a squad car for even attempting to walk through the doors. What suddenly made me want to blog about Western avenue was a text message I received a few minutes ago from my best friend Mike
Mike- "The tile floor in McNally's looks like it took some time".
Me- "Ya i bet. still in the Library getting my degree n stuff".
Mike is a real piece of work and wanted to comment on the job the tile guy worked on via text to me, while the rest of his buddies are soaking up the Chicago Blackhawks' loss and having a great time.
So, that being said, Western Avenue is a good time hear and there but for the most part, someone who finds refuge on the beloved street and becomes a regular, never really finds their way out. I'm happy I have the privilege to leave the South side of Chicago and another state so I can explore my options and stay out out of trouble for the most part. Peace out English class.

No comments:

Post a Comment